Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jul 2016 13:58:17 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Cooling system over pressurizing?

Hi all. This is for a 1988 westy. I'm out of town on a camping trip.

I drive for about an hour, pull over, let engine idle. I don't hear a gurgling sound. As soon as I shut off engine, I hear a gurgling sound from small hose connecting nipple on passenger side head to long engine bay coolant manifold. While hearing that gurgling sound, I see a rapid stream of bubbles go into top connection on my coolant expansion tank. My fill tank over fills with coolant, coolant spills out top of that tank. This lasts less than a minute. This has happened twice on this trip.

I think there is a leak between a cylinder and head and that a compression or exhaust stroke is over pressurizing my cooling system. As was suggested before on this list (thanks Dennis!) a head may be lifting during longer drive times. It doesn't happen on short trips in town. The passenger side head may have been replaced at some point. I do wonder if head bolts need to be torqued sown more. A risky proposition for an amateur!

Am I likely correct that my coolong system is over pressurizing?

This happened before on a road trip. I replaced the blue cap on expansion tank, this seemed to cure the issue. My thought is that if engine is pumping hot exhaust gas into coolant, if coolant temps are too high, this is causing the valve in blue cap to fail.

My hope is to nurse this westy home from cle elum WA ago Vancouver bc.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>