Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jul 2016 11:08:34 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Belt advice
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

Belt dressing is a temporary fix. Belt squeals and chirps can be due for a number reasons. It is usually worse just after start up partly due to the increased load of the alternator being loaded down to get that power used for starting back into the battery. Yes, as the alternator tries to produce more power since the speed is whatever it is the torque required to turn it increases with load. As the belt warms it will glaze some and the squeal may go away but the slipping can still be occurring until such point the belt fails.

Worn pulleys can reduce the friction-drive capability allowing for slip. The design of the alternator/water pump drive is a very poor design. Normally for belts and even chains you want to get as close to 180 degree wrap as possible. At the crankshaft pulley you don’t even get a 90 degree wrap. Due to this the belt tension is extremely critical From the factory this was a specially designed belt to maintain a high tension. AFAIK that belt is no longer available. While the continental belts sold by some vendors are a good fit they still are not right. The Gates 7430 or 7435 seems to hold up the best. One a touch tight to get on the other doesn’t give much room for future adjustment.

As a quick check for proper tension you can take a wrench to the alternator pulley and use it to turn the engine. You should be able to turn the engine through the compression strokes without the belt slipping.

Dennis

Hi folks,

Not the advice that my belt is getting a bit tight around my middle. I need advice on my waterpump belt.

I got my van back from a check up and was told the belt was fine and needed just a bit of belt dressing.

Still the belt squeaks at cold start up every time and stops after a few minutes. Doesn’t make noise once warmed up.

At least one fellow VW owner looked and said it seemed a bit loose.

At the check up I was told if it was tightened it would damage bearings.

So, do I get the belt changed and tightened or just put on belt dressing?

The belt was put on in 2013 about 9,000 miles ago. I think it has chirped a bit most of this time certainly the last year.

Friend says my belt shows some wear and small cracks. Shop didn’t recommend any work on it though I specifically asked about it.

thanks.

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto Westfalia