Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jul 2016 15:42:32 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter related question.
Comments: To: Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@NBNET.NB.CA>

Don’t rush on the high power headlights yet. LED's are on their way. I have been experimenting and found some that actually work. If going for the South African set up there are complete LED headlamp assemblies to replace the 7" round. These are becoming available for the Harley and jeep crowd. There are DOT approved ones and some are awesome. Some even have DRL function built in, even with the halo look! The cool thing is that they use much less power than the stock bulbs. The one downside is some of them flicker a bit at idle. I have done the GW LED light kit for all the exterior lights and I am very pleased. I tried sourcing these separately trying to save money but it just isn’t worth the effort. It is really confusing to get the best bulb for brightness, color to lens match, and pattern. I also did the interior LED.

Dennis

Dennis:

As always, I appreciated your experience and knowledge.

On the headlight side, my reason for wanting to remove the current from the switch was to enable upgrading of the headlights, which would draw more current. I was planning to upgrade the wiring harness for the lights and use relays to switch the circuits for the head lights rather than pull even more current though the light switch in the dash. The tail lights/marker lights are not an issue and can remain as is. The fog lights are already on their own switch (though I want to replace them with LED lamps and key them off the ignition to be DRLs … I was going to use a relay here, but could simply move them over to the ignition switch since the load will be minimal).

My experience with the T3 is limited, however, I am somewhat familiar with relays / remote switches in the context of automation control systems (building HVAC, industrial motors, etc) where we use low-voltage DC on the control side - more frequently these days, we use digital communications to the {more complicated} switch, but that’s not relevant here. Should it not be possible to use relays and still keep the independence of the existing circuits?

On the ignition side, I’ll defer to your experience. I have not seen the specs on the solenoid and ignition switch {I have not found them yet}, but I am certain the system was designed to handle the load and more. I would think that my moving to a diesel starter (Bosch SR040{8,9}X) should not increase the current draw as the solenoids should be similar in power requirements.

On my old splitty, I installed a relay years ago after the bus was converted to 12v - perhaps it wasn’t necessary, but it’s never given me trouble and the 50+yr old ignition switch is still in fine shape.

I agree that introducing the relays gives another component that can fail, but it should be a cheaper replacement than a headlamp switch or ignition switch?

Roy