Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jul 2016 17:47:19 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: '91 westy with 60k mi....$9 grand.  on CL

> only 60k orig mi, and manual tranny.. cant believe nobody hasnt bought > this yet.. > > http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5687519353.html

The fellow was willing to meet me 1/2 hour from my house so I gave it a look. It does appear to legitimately have been in the family since new; two generations were in the van when it pulled up and they seemed genuinely sorry to be letting it go. That being said, this Westy looks like it's been "let go" for a long time already. The odometer doesn't work, so the 60k miles is not verifiable. He said it stopped working shortly after the last inspection, about 9 months ago, and estimated mid to upper 60's. The inspection sticker was faded but it appeared to read a few hundred miles less than the odometer shows now, which would be consistent with a recent odometer failure, but to be honest I have seen Westies with 200k miles that didn't look half as rough as this one. The steering rack leaks. The trans grinds badly going into 3rd gear. The engine seems to be in good shape from a cursory look - no valve clatter, peppy on the highway, no oil or coolant leaks that I could see and the temp gauge hovers at around 40% from the bottom - but the oil light flashes constantly. He said it's done that for years. There is a faint coolant smell that seems to be coming from the rear heater core. The sliding door has about 3/4 inch thick Bondo that is cracking and it has been partially repainted the wrong color; not sure if the door could be saved. There is a minor dent in the passenger side front door and a crack in the front bumper. The paint is in very bad shape, no way it would buff out and look nice. However the body is very solid; I noticed no significant rust anywhere. The interior is filthy but had no major damage that I noticed. The front table and leg, the rear hatch screen, and the front curtain are missing. The A/C does not blow cold. The poptop canvas is shot. The sink pump and stove didn't work but I don't know if it had propane or water in it. He has no repair records for the vehicle, and said a buddy of his did any work it needed for cash. (Looked more to me like it just never got serviced.)

It looks like you could clean this Westy up and drive it as it is with minimal work, until the steering rack gets worse or the trans finally gives out, but it wouldn't be pretty to look at. If you were on a budget, had a good used trans and did the work yourself, you could end up with a decent Westy with a low initial outlay and do the rest over time. But my overall impression was that once you gave this Westy everything necessary to bring it to say 8 out of 10 condition, you could probably have paid about the same for one that didn't need all the work in the first place. He was willing to go down to $7k cash-in-hand, which he said was his bottom price, but I passed. I have a friend who is kind of looking for one but I didn't think this one was worth pursuing even for $7k. Too bad.

Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com