Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jul 2016 00:33:56 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1991 Carat - the drama continues
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

I figured the coolant should be tested after runnng a bit. It only got about two hours of running on plain water. Agree that wasn't the best in my opinion but that is what was done. I went to the shop, backed the car up a good slope, loosed the bottom radiator hose and drained the system. Used my coolant filler bong and filled it 'til I got a good flow oxf antifreeze from the air bleed on top of the radiator, then closed it up. (And BTW, every Vanagon owner should make himself a coolant filler bong. Those things are slicker'n owl dung on a log!!! Easy to make.) The heater valves were open while doing all this. After closing the bleeder, the fill tank in the rear only accepted about another quart of coolant. Cranked it up and let it run. It was obviously full. I got a few fine bubbles in the return to the tank then they stopped. Satisfied it was OK, I took to the road for a test run on the highway, and that is when I discovered the oil pressure switch problem.

Will run it a bit, then check the antifreeze for correct density and adjust accordingly.

John