Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Jul 2016 12:43:06 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Automatric neutral safety / backup lights switch -- '84
              Vanagon              with sutomatic transmission
Comments: To: John Lauterbach <john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM>

Both the wiper bar and the contact block are wear items. The contacts in the block get loose in hosing and that wiper on shaft gets pitted and wears or burns away. Both should get changed as a set.

Having working reverse lights is almost as important as brake lights. As bad as most state inspection programs are at least they get folks to get stuff fixed at some point.

When I took my road test for the motor home I had to do a pre trip inspection including fully testing the air brake system and demonstrating I knew how.

Dennis, From my phone. ________________________________ From: John Lauterbach<mailto:john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM> Sent: ‎7/‎31/‎2016 10:37 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Automatric neutral safety / backup lights switch -- '84 Vanagon with sutomatic transmission

My, Son, now 18, has reluctantly concluded that the only way he is going to get a GA drivers license is to take the road test in my Vanagon. He has heard that the inspectors giving the test do a safety check on the vehicle and that all lights including backup lights work must work. I had never bothered to find out why they didn't work when I purchased van in 1997. I had bought the contact that goes on the shift lever, but never replaced the bad one. When it got so worn that van would not start, I bypassed the switch. So, this past Friday night, my Son decides to fix the problems. I gave him the new contact (date on bag was 1999) and turned him loose on the van. He got everything working except that van will not start unless you push the shift lever to the right. Contacts on the switch appear to be good. It appears the switch needs to be loosened and pushed to the left and the screws retightened. Is this best way (other than buying new switch)?

Thank you,

John