Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jul 2016 16:57:25 +0000
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      replacing transmission selector shaft seal
Comments: cc: markmcculley@GMAIL.COM

Mark, My 87 Westy has 240K with about 100K on the last engine rebuild. I have replaced the right transmission axel seal for the second time and it still leaks a little going uphill. The axel bearing seems a little loose but does not make noise and the transmission shifts fine. Yes there is a small amount of oil coming out of the shift selector seal and the vent. I just got back from Canada and saw little evidence to suggest any serous loss of transmission oil. I think what is important for you is to characterize the amount of oil you are leaking and consider your options which may be to wait for a better time to replace the seal. If the transmission has a lot of oil on it, I would clean it off with some simple green, maybe take a wire brush to it if it is dirty, clean up around the vent to make sure it is not plugged, taking care not to plug it up during the process. If you have not greased the cv axels in 30k I would pull them off and check to see if there is any sign of oil leaking into the boots. I usually just wipe out the old grease and put in new for the CV joints if the boots are still good. Be sure to torque the axel bolts down with a torque wrench. If the transmission is not making any noise, it shifts fine, and it is only leaking a small amount when you are driving…. (Should never leak when sitting!!!) I would count my blessing, keep on top of the transmission oil level and keep driving and wait for a better time to fix any problem. You might want to purchase a transmission oil pump to top off the transmission when you think it is getting low. Gary

-------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date:    Thu, 28 Jul 2016 05:29:20 -0700 From:    Mark McCulley <markmcculley@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: replacing transmission selector shaft seal Thanks Gary, but if the transmission is venting properly why would there be pressure building up? Is there any way to determine if transmission is overheating? Monitor the temperature somehow? I plan to replace the seal and then keep an eye out for any leakage but if the transmission needs a rebuild I'd prefer to do it sooner than later. -Mark