Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Aug 2016 19:34:55 -0700
From:         Scott - IMAP <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: VAN STALLED AND WON'T START ?
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

just for testing .. you don't even install the new switch. just drop the lower panel, pull the plug off the back of the ignition switch, plug your new switch onto that wire plug, turn it with a screw driver.

if it works then, you've found the issue, THEN pull the steering wheel to change the switch properly and completely.

lube the horn contact ring any time the steering wheel is off.

Scott

On 8/1/2016 6:26 PM, Richard Koerner wrote: > It's easy to do, what Jim Arnott said....I just did it at a motel in Colorado on a road trip with "turn key, nothing happens" problem. No....not the lock cylinder and all. Just do the electrical part of the ignition switch assembly. > > About a 30 minute job; but you've got to have that socket (24 mm?....review youtube video link below) to remove the steering wheel (available at Napa). I've done this job before; and I needed a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter. So be sure you get that before you start. > > I bought an ignition switch from the local Napa shop (was about $35....ouch!!, but I was in the middle of nowhere (and pleasantly surprised they had the physical part right before my eyes). But it solved the problem. > Here's a youtube clip from listmember Brian: Replacing Vanagon Ignition Switch > > | | > | | | | | | | | > | Replacing Vanagon Ignition Switch | > | | > | View on www.youtube.com | Preview by Yahoo | > | | > | | > > BTW....be sure to do the "install key and turn to ON position" step he mentions. I didn't do that the first time I did the install a few years back and it was messy and probably why it needed replacement again; if you do it, it's super easy. And gets things all aligned correctly. > > Oh....I will ALWAYS carry a spare ignition switch from now on (much cheaper from List Vendors than what I paid). Really sucks to have no start when out in the middle of nowhere. Cheap. Small. Excellent roadtrip insurance. > And NO, I don't have a bunch of heavy things hanging from my key ring; that is often cited as a possible source of the problem. Methinks that things just wear out after 30 years. > Anyway....love it when I turn the key and it cranks right up. > > Rich > San Diego > > From: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Sent: Monday, August 1, 2016 6:02 PM > Subject: Re: VAN STALLED AND WON'T START ? > > Just switch the electrical part of the switch, not the lock. > > Jim > > >> On Aug 1, 2016, at 12:59 PM, Pat Patterson <SESRating@AOL.COM> wrote: >> >> snip >> THOUGHT I WOULD ASK HERE FOR ANY IDEAS BEFORE I TRY TO PULL AN IGNITION >> SWITCH FROM A DONER VAN AND SEE IF IT WORKS. ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW IF IT IS >> EASY TO SWITCH THE TUMBLERS FROM MY SWITH TO THE DONOR SO I CAN USE MY >> SAME KEY. I;M NOT SURE IF THE DONOR SWITCH HAS A KEY FOR IT OR NOT.