Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Aug 2016 09:27:10 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: testing capacity of house battery
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>

Small (true) deep cycle batteries are rated at both a 5 and a 20 hour rate. These rates come up with somewhat different overall amp hour ratings due the batteries resistance to deliver higher currents over time. If you are using substantial loads such as lights and heaters along with stereo / inverters or what have you the 5 hour rate is the one that is important.

The group 41 starting battery (if that is what you are using) as a starting-lighting-ignition battery also get rated for cold cranking amps, (0F), and reserve capacity. For an "SLI" battery the total amp hour rating is based on the 20 hour rate. For the group 41 battery ~60 A/H is typical. Reserve capacity is the time it can sustain a 25 amp load which is a factor when the a charging system fails or you need lighting during a break down. Again for the group 41 "SLI" battery a typical rating is 110 minutes.

So based on your results below your battery is good for the core deposit or a door stop.

Dennis