Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Aug 2016 16:50:43 -0700
From:         Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2WD gas tank reseal...
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

I did my '86 with a Bus owner's help and it went well. Then, last year I did my '90, with the same BO's help. Not so good. In the intervening years I'd forgotten details learned. We ended up partially disconnecting all lines, multiple times and realized that to reinstall you basically have to learn the exact order of 'reentry' or things pop loose, arms can't be contorted or hands won't fit. Royal PITA, thanks to the Germans again. Within weeks I could again smell gas! If I EVER have another seal to do I'll hire it so to be able to say, "Do it again, thanks."

No, you don't want to do this with any fuel in the tank. Gasoline ignites very easily, from fumes.

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dan, > > You really need to take it all the way out. It's a bit difficult the first > time, with it's fiddly cross pieces and such, but the second time is pretty > quick. Not a bad job, but not one I'd want to do every day. > > Jim > > On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 2:18 PM Dan N <dn92610@gmail.com> wrote: > > > hi, > > > > could you please help me on this issue... > > > > the gas tank is leaking on my 2WD '88 vanagon... the gas tank needs a > > complete reseal.. I have 2 choices... > > > > 1. have it done by a mechanic (waiting time and labor cost) > > 2. do it myself > > > > on the option #2, some questions... > > - do I have to empty and take out the fuel tank? > > - can it be done by lowering the fuel tank a bit? > > - what else to do since I am in there? > > > > many thanks in advance > > > > dan > > >

-- Neil2 '82 Diesel Westfalia (Ducky) '86 Vanagon (SaVannah) '08 170" 2500 Mega Roof Sprinter (Moby) '90 Westfalia Subagon Fulltiming since August 2008 Nunquam Pendite Divendium