Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Aug 2016 18:44:48 -0700
From:         Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Install Front AC or Keep Stock Unit???
Comments: To: Jack R <jack007@comcast.net>

Consider White, 70/30 perf on your windows and more importantly Llumar ceramic film on your cockpit glass for glare AND heat. If you do add AC later it will work better with both.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 6:23 PM, Jack R <jack007@comcast.net> wrote:

> Ten years after an engine upgrade to a 2.1 in my 84 Westy, I decided to > finally fix my AC. > Pulled the radiator / condenser, and ALL the lines. Replaced all AC > lines, flushed rust out of the condenser and pressure checked it, flushed > rust out of the compressor and evaporator. Basically removed everything to > start fresh. > Lines and flushing, with new ends ran $550. And about 8 to 10 hours labor > removing everything. If a system is properly balanced per the specs in the > technical bulletin, cold AC is possible. http://faculty.ccp.edu/ > faculty/dreed/Campingart/vanagon/vwretrofit.pdf > > Figure at least 20 hours to do the entire job, minimum for an experienced > mechanic who knows Vanagons. > > Replacing coolant, good airflow across condenser / radiator and knowing > how to shut off all airflow in the front, can result in a cool Vanagon with > air coming from the rear. > > While I was at it, I cleaned up some electrical issues and created an > issue in the process. Better "perfect" grounds and cleaned multiple > connections, replacing wires and spades. > Started it back up, ran for 3 minutes until a stall and smoke from the > dash. Melt down of wire from ignition switch (black wire) to coil in > rear. Hard short in that wire! Must have done too much. Replaced with > fresh wire run to the coil, running perfect now. > > QUESTION on two unknown wires in the fuse panel of my 84 Westy (Double Red > with White Stripe wire unplugged, from who knows where?) into a relay high > in the dash and not seen in the Bentley? > Anyone have a clue what this is for? https://1drv.ms/f/s! > AmdSy8lvr2gKt0g5w9wa_3JDZc6k > > Lots to do to get the AC going, but the final phase of my total restore of > the 84 Westy I've owned since 87! > > Thanks for any help provided on the wires and wishing for a cool ride in > the future. > > If anyone needs specific questions answered on the AC repair I'm going > through... all is very fresh, a I near completion of this project. > > Jack R. > 84 Westy > N. of Detroit > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of Marc Perdue > Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:02 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Install Front AC or Keep Stock Unit??? > > What if you had no AC at all to begin with? I've often been frustrated > with the fact that my van never had AC, particularly this past week when I > was driving to a festival and it was 95 degrees and 90% humidity outside . > . . It's not usually a problem once I get where I'm going, since I'm > usually going to festivals up in the mountains where it's cooler, or there > are shady spots where I can camp. It would be nice to be able to get there > in air-conditioned comfort though. > > Marc, in central Virginia > > On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 7:40 PM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> > wrote: > > With few exceptions the lowest cost option is to make what you work as > it should. Yes, being in the rear cooling effect up front is limited > especially when driving facing the sun and getting that afternoon heat > hitting you in the face while getting some cold air blowing at the back of > your head and neck. Working properly though that AC should be able to cool > off the van. > > > > Front units are nice to get that relief up front. The small car unit is > nice as it is a heat and cool package. It would be nicer if it also offered > the ability to blend outside air. I have seen some other aftermarket dash > AC installations and many suffer from insufficient capacity. Most are > designed for coupes and sedans, not vans. > > > > If I lived in a hot all the time climate and was willing to spend I > would look for a solution to have both the original and dash AC. This is > very common in newer vehicles. A good custom AC shop should be able to put > together a dual evaporator system for you. You will likely need a larger > compressor and more condenser capacity to support it but it can be done. > > > > Dennis > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > > Behalf Of PB > > Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:08 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Install Front AC or Keep Stock Unit??? > > > > Can a stock AC unit (90 Westy automatic) be replaced with a front AC? > > Would there be any advantage price-wise, reliability, use of space, and > physical comfort? In my case, rear passengers are a rarity, so I would keep > the cool air in the front by putting a curtain behind seats. > > > > Patti > > 90 Westy Automatic > > > > -- > > > > *♪♫**♥**♫♪♪♫**♥**♫♪♪♫**♥**♫♪♪♫**♥**♫♪* > > If it's not on my iPhone, it doesn't exist... > > ●▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬♥▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬● > > > --- > This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. > https://www.avast.com/antivirus >

-- Neil2 '82 Diesel Westfalia (Ducky) '86 Vanagon (SaVannah) '08 170" 2500 Mega Roof Sprinter (Moby) '90 Westfalia Subagon Fulltiming since August 2008 Nunquam Pendite Divendium