Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Aug 2016 12:42:53 -0400
From:         Dave Bohannan <fjazzbass@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Go Westy 30 mm oil pump kit (review) Oil pressure update - 85 1.9

The Go Westy Oil Pump kit was great… Schadek pump, 2 gaskets, bolts and VW cover…ordered via priority mail and it came really fast.

Install went way easily…maybe too? CLEARANCE behind the water pipe and pulley were perfect…I dry fitted everything together first and put it all back together...

Jury is still out on performance. No levitation- seriously...

Oil pressure is slightly better when hot (10-20%)…even close to the 10 lbs per 1000- but I’m not satisfied- and I might have some more questions if the collective community will bear it…

The new pump came with a thin(ish) cover gasket….I had another uber thin one…used it with some Hylomar…

Old pump had ~.005” clearance (max .004 per sir Bentley…)

New pump had .015” clearance, hence me feeling a little better about using the gasket…there I go thinking again….

Dennis, I know you said, no gasket and use loctite 518- I’m tempted to go that route- but will it change things that much? All things considered- sans the loss of coolant, blah blah, this is an easy job…I’m thinking of just going gasket less…

I’m also thinking of bumping to SAE 50 until I rebuild this beast (overnight lows in the upper 70s until winter……) looking for used or whatever….

Thanks in advance!!!

Dave