Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Aug 2016 18:49:19 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV boot problem repair problem continued
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

The quality-design of most of the available boots is so poor this is becoming a common experience. T3 and GoWesty offer heavy duty boots from Rockford and these seem to be holding up much better. All I use now.

As for doing this yourself you will need some tools and you might find the joints are tight enough on the shaft that they will need to be pressed or pulled off with a puller and somehow driven back on. You will also need either a 6 point allen socket bit or a 12 point bit to remove and re-install the bolts and they should definitely be torqued after installation. Only the joint should have grease. The boot should not be packed. A shop should be able to remove an axle, replace the boots and re-install in about 1.5 hours.

Dennis