Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Aug 2016 22:48:28 +0000
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV boot problem repair problem continued
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@comcast.net>

You'll have to first figure out if you have the tools for it. It's not all that hard, but messy and a lot of up and down if you don't have a helper.

You have six bolts against the transmission flange and six bolts up in the bearing box. They will either be triple square or hex. If they have been out recently they won't give you any problems, most likely. Anyway, remove the ones up in the bearing box first. You can get to maybe two at a time. Put on the emergency brake, got those two. Take of the brake, rotate a third of a turn, put the brake on again, get the next two and so forth then do the inside ones against the transmission and it's out. Pull the c-clip out of the CV joint at the offending boot. Most easily done with the axle in a vise, then loosen the vise so the CV joint lies on top of the jaws, not gripping the axle at all, and drive the axle out with a brass drift. Let the other end fall in a bucket full of rags. Take care that you don't drop the now-free CV joint our you will be chasing balls all over the place. Sounds like you will need some grease. Pull off the old boot, push on the new, lock the axle up in the vise again standing straight up, and tap on the CV joint with the drift touching the center cage only. It should go right on. Replace the c-clip and reverse the removal process. The reason you want to undo the outside first and redo it last is because the bearing box in the railing arm supports the axle and it is a lot easier.

Jim