Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Aug 2016 13:48:53 -1000
From:         Scott <SCOTTDANIEL@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: tracking down gas smell tips needed
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

what kind of clamp was used ?"

the ones I like have a curled up edge, so they can't dig into the surface of the hose. if the clamps used have sharp edges ..wrong kind of clamp.

lol...if I ever write the book about all the BAD CAR Work I have seen in 30 solid years of professional car repair .. it will take VOLUMES , like an encyclopedia...many volumes to list them all.

most of the time you will not get a job done that is over about 75 % . things will be done quickly .. very little attention to detail .. little extras not done, and so on.

what drives me nuts .. do you think you can talk to the guy about it without him being defensive ??

if you can at all ..that's a miracle.

you know the old saying ..if you want something done right, do it yourself.

but do see what type of hose clamps were used, and get the correct type on there. Scott

On 08/12/2016 12:01 PM, Eric Caron wrote: > Update on earlier post, > > tightened up hose clamp on rear of canister fuel filter. Now with repeated pressurizing of the fuel system, no drips are happening in this area. > > This is the same area I noticed that the person installing the fuel filter had placed the hose clamp too far off the end of the fuel pump and it was digging into the hose and not around the pump outlet. I had already fixed that and luckily no drip from that hose though the crease from the hose clamp is a bit concerning. > > This is the second time I left my van in the hands of a VW sort of local mechanic and got it back with as many or more issues then were resolved. > > They also did more harm then good to my coolant concern and nothing to help with belt concerns. > > Issues this list and friends have pretty much resolved in the past few months. > They did a nice job adjusting my emergency break so that is a plus! > > I think I will still smell gas from some where so likely problem areas to look at are appreciated. > > > Eric Caron > 85 GL Auto Westfalia > > >> On Aug 12, 2016, at 5:17 PM, Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET> wrote: >> >> Hi Volks, >> >> I’ve noticed a gass smell at fill up for a few months. recently I thought it had increased. >> >> Today I started the van and sniffed around. I thought the smell was strongest by the rear driver’s side. Later I turned on the fuel pump but not the engine. I found that each time I did this there was gas on the second fuel filter. I recently had the 86 and later fuel filter added to my van. now I find a big gas drip there each time I turn on the pump. >> >> I suppose I’ll start by tightening the hose clamps a bit. Also, If there is a issue in the rear where might I start feeling around? >> >> The engine compartment fuel lines were replaced in 2013 but frankly I don’t really know what that means. I’m currently just following my nose and feeling around. >> >> Eric Caron >> 85 GL Auto Westfalia