Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Aug 2016 19:36:33 -0400
From:         Ian Allan <ian.allan@BMTS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday nvc: Sprinters

I drive a 2008 Freightliner. Had it for three or 4 years. I have NEVER been to a dealer. A few CEL’s, maybe limp home once. Cured itself. Other than that just oil changes (not a trivial matter) and front brakes. I’ve done 50,000 miles and get my local independent VW, Audi, BMW guy to do the service. He uses Autologic equipment to manipulate the computer, force regenerations etc. I have a scan gauge and routinely use it to extinguish the CEL if illuminated between oil services. I can stand in mine, it cruises as fast as you would ever want to go, gets 25MPG and tracks well in a crosswind. BTW I installed an athwartships platform bed in the rear, a Westfalia galley unit with sink and stove hooked up to green bottles, I used a Dometic cool box and have a mid seat with a forward dinette area and swivel front seats. My model does not have the DEF equipment. I like it.

Having said that on short runs I prefer my 85 Westfalia as it is so nimble. On long runs (Ontario to Florida) the Sprinter wins hands down.

Sprinters and for that matter all newer diesel vans/cars are very complicated electronically in an effort to meet the emission standards (VW excepted…) To me much of the reliability lure of diesel power is well behind us.

Ian