Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Aug 2016 20:23:44 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Refrigerator tip and observation

Hi folks,

A couple weekends ago I discovered something useful about my stock refrigerator.

Sorry if folks already know this.

For a long time I didn’t use my refrigerator. Now that my propane is reliable I use it often.

Still usually it is just a empty spot in my van. Prior to most camp outs I put a few frozen 1 liter bottles of water in my refrigerator. I drink the water as it melts and it helps pre cool the refrigerator.

For this recent trip I put in 4 frozen 1 liter bottles. Just for fun I checked the temperature with a infra red talking thermometer.

With outside temperature at 85 my refrigerator held about 45 degrees.

After just over two days I was reading 50 degrees. I forgot the bottles when I got home and checked them after 5 days. With outside temperatures still about 85 during the day it read 60 inside.

So, without turning on my refrigerator at all and with just 4 liter bottles in my refrigerator it kept cool enough for keeping most items cool and safe for about 2 days. And, even after 5 days it was cool enough to make a cool place to store groceries for a trip home.

I wanted to share this because for those with the stock refrigerator and traveling to the grocery store or a couple nights out. this simple tip could make the refrigerator useful even if you don’t feel like lighting it.

These kind of tips have been very helpful to me over the years.

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto Westfalia