Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Aug 2016 00:22:51 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transmission fluid change - 1991 4 spd
Comments: To: bernie <1234bjs@GMAIL.COM>

Driven gently and with some luck these transmissions rarely actually wear out except for some parts such as the gear carrier housing. Failures often involve parts breaking or bearings suddenly failing. If you really have no symptoms of anything wrong then keep on driving. Often signs of failure begin subtly. Having the gear shifter push back in third gear as throttle is applied is a sign the main shaft bearing is moving in the gear carrier housing. Stiffness going between 3rd and 4th gears indicates a cracked 3-4 slider hub. Driven hard things tend to g wrong faster partly due to lack of thermal control and other breaking under stress. Not just abusive driving but even long trips at higher spedds tend to make things fail especially with the Syncros.

Dennis