Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Sep 2016 23:09:13 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gowesty starter problems...but, Ignition Switch
Comments: To: Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@GMAIL.COM>

I just want to comment...all Ignition Switches are not alike.  I was having "turn key, nothing happens" issues.  Was on the road, and bought a new switch at Napa in a small town in Colorado.  Seemed to work...for a while.  But then "turn key, nothing happens" problem returned.

So I replaced it with a switch from Van-Cafe; they said they used to use the Kostal brand, but have become unavailable so they changed to Meyle.  So that's the one I still have in there with my Hi-Torque starter as part of my Subie 2.2 conversion. (Not sure about the starter but I think it's from KEP (Kennedy Engineering Products); I had my conversion done at California Westy's in San Diego and they use KEP stuff.)

But then, I noticed Bus Depot has the Kostal brand ignition switches; so I ordered one and have it as a backup.  Been debating whether to replace the Meyle switch with the Kostal switch.  But since motor always starts first time, I haven't done it yet. Of course, if your starter motor "cranks" but doesn't catch, than this is a different issue. Rich San Diego

From: Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, September 5, 2016 3:48 PM Subject: Re: Gowesty starter problems Thanks for all the input 1) Ignition switch is brand new installed 4 weeks ago 2) engine is 2.2 WBX GOWESTY's engine with manual transmission 3) failed starter is a new to me. It is a Gowesty gear reduction starter that  failed 4) I'll let everyone know what Gowesty says. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon

Dennis Jowell Scotch Hollow Farm Newbury, Vermont