Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Sep 2016 22:07:30 -0700
From:         Christophe Guilbert <cguilbert@PICASSO.UCSF.EDU>
Subject:      Engine Ground voltage drop under load, please help diagnose.

I have a vanagon 1983 air-cool CA.

I would really appreciate some help to diagnose my problem , even my mechanic does not understand it.

Here is the story:

My battery is new and read 12.6v . I have a new alternator which deliver 14V

When the van idle I read 13.71V at the battery terminal. When I start lights and fan blower , I read 13.24V.

I tried to check if I had any leak between the battery terminal and the alternator under load (lights and fan blower):

For terminal + , I have none , well something like -0.1V

For terminal - , not only I have -0.5V at the alternator level but also to any ground point of the engine, which is way too much ! ( I have -0.1V only if I am not under load)

In order to remind how the engine is grounded , here is the pathway , from battery to the body using a ground strap , than from body to transmission front mounting using a ground strap, than from transmission front mounting to the transmission via metal contact and/or 3 bolts and stud. than from transmission to the whole engine.

Trying to understand where my 0.5v drops come from , I checked if I had any voltage drop between the battery ground terminal and the ground strap terminal bolted to the transmission front mounting . I have none (-0.04v) . So voltage drop must happened between the transmission front mounting and the transmission or the engine. I plugged my voltmeter between the ground strap terminal going to the transmission front mounting and the engine (any points) and I found -0.45V.

When I plugged my voltmeter between the ground strap terminal going to the transmission front mounting bolt and one of the transmission bolt (after making it bare metal), I got -0.35V. So the main culprit seems to be the connection between the transmission front mounting and the transmission itself. I removed the transmission front mounting , clean bolts ,studs, washers, any point of contacts, I make them bare metal, used deoxit D5 and di-electric grease before putting every back. I retest the ground voltage between the battery and the engine and I got -0.4V (instead of -0.5V) under load.

From this point I don't know what to do and would appreciate any explanation and advices.

I am thinking to reground the engine . If I quickly used a jump start cable to reground the engine , I reduce my voltage drop from -0.4V to -0.2V. I guess I can do better with a proper dedicated ground cable .

I would rather avoid that option thought because I would like to fully understand what's going on first.

Any though.

Thanks for any help.

Chris