Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Sep 2016 00:42:02 +0000
From:         MICHAEL H <vwdash80@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: gas smell solution progress
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@HOTMAIL.COM>

Ric , I just did the tank drop escapade a couple of weeks ago. the worst of it was drilling out the bolts that, of course snapped after 31 yrs of corrosion accumulation. did it by myself with a single jack to lower and raise the tank. it slid out on the ground without having to lift the Van. turned it over and used the pump feed line to squirt in a shot of PB Blaster and a few drops of transmission fluid. tank screen was clean enough to blow with about  psi lung power ! chased the 'cleaning fluid' with a little fresh gas that went into the garden tractor well enough. it was actually good enough to POR 15 the outside. while that dried, the inside dried out. with sender unit out to replace that seal, I had access to get an air hose in there to blow it out. refitting the expansion tanks into the wheel wells went easier with a little grease on the ears. GoWesty seal and grommet kit used here also.       h t h                      mike

From: Richard Golen <rgolen@HOTMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2016 6:30 PM Subject: Re: gas smell solution progress Eric,

I have the same problem with the hoses at the expansion tank leaning. I have the GoWesty fuel tank seal kit, which has the hoses you speak of.  I think I'll replace the stuff I can do without dropping the tank, and save the "fun" of dropping the tank to a later date.

Thanks.

Ric