Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Sep 2016 14:35:50 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      '91 Carat AC - again!

I sure have struggled with this system.

Just above the high pressure service port there is a port for a shraeder valve. Scriwed onto that port is an electrical deviced called a "trinary switch". I have no I dea what it does or how it works. Seen from the shrader valve end there is a pin that obviously works asinst the stem in the shraeder valve. It is electric -4 wires - but what does it do? How does it work? What does it regulate?

Driving down thevroad I heard a loud pop, then a whistling like air from a tire. I stopped to investigate and foundcthe bach of the trinary switch blown off, suggesting that the shraeder valve underneath had failed. I removed the switch, replace the shraeder valve, and reinstalled it, thinking I MIGHT just put the rubber seal back in place, and all would be fine. NOT!!! The minute I added a can of refrigerant and presurerized the system, the seal popped and I was back to square 1, suggesting the shraeder valve failed again.

Not knowing the relationship of that trinary switch to the shraeder vslve, I'm reluctandcto trymit again until I learn more about it.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks.

John