Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Oct 2016 13:41:07 +0000
From:         joe kallo <quietglow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Howdy all!

I've been a lurker for last couple months after we finally bought our first Vanagon, so I figure it might be time to say hi (particularly with the current discussion!). My wife Allison and I are the proud owners of a '82 1.6na diesel westy that had been lovingly cared for by two previous owners. In the 2 months since we bought it, we've camped about 2 weeks (every Friday and Saturday nights) and put 2k+ miles on it. I've owned a whole bunch of vehicles over the years, but this has certainly been my favorite so far.

We live in Chicago, and our prime reason for getting a van is heading to MI and WI to explore, fish, surf, etc. Most of that happens on little state roads with 55mph speed limits, and of course it's pretty flat around here. So I think less about the 1.6 being underpowered and more about it being so awesomely simple and fuel efficient. I am quite sure I'd have a different opinion if my stomping grounds were the rockies.

I was super excited to find the Vanagon listserv. I was active on the bmw 2002 list waaay back in the mid 90s, and I've always found the listservs preferable to message boards etc. I've been enjoying the discussions here, and I look forward to chatting with you all in the future.

Best, Joe