Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Oct 2016 11:49:36 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Folks: Machine Intermediate Shaft?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

Sorry for not being clearer. The helpful VW person was referring to machining the cast portion of shaft, not the journals.

I haven't measured the shaft OD for any out of round yet (not sure I can) but found it interesting that the shaft itself is tapered and that the outer bearing journal OD was ~ 1mm larger than inner.

I will likely get at least the outer bearing replaced, or do it myself. Regardless, the bearings look ok and I didn't feel any lateral play.

This part does not see a lot of load and doesn't turn that fast.

On 10/10/16, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can get oversized bearings for a turned intermediate shaft, and your > shop may have to buy the proper reamers for them. I have never had a > problem with anything that slicked up pretty well. Put it on a buffing > wheel and see what happens. If it shines, and it probably will, you will > save yourself a lot of trouble. And then there's the fact that this is the > last part on the engine to go out of tolerance, so finding a replacement > should be easy. > > I used to build engines as a teenager helping a guy who raced Sprites at > Sebring. He left almost every part of his engines outdoors all winter to > rust, and he claimed that the pockets provided by the rust held oil and > helped lubrication. I don't know if I buy that or not, but he never had > problems from the practice. > > Jim > > On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 1:26 PM Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >

>> The intermediate shaft has a somewhat rough OD. >> A helpful VW person suggested that machining >> this shaft smooth would help reduce engine vibrations.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>