Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Oct 2016 00:23:26 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: No Headlights or Turnsignals but Markers OK Update 4
Comments: To: Cunegonde <cunegonde.van.westfalia@GMAIL.COM>

Just a wild shot in the "dark"......I was having blinker issues recently.  I removed Emergency Flasher switch from instrument panel, sprayed into the switch with electrical contact cleaner, operated switch back and forth about 20 times to clean things up.  And it worked!  Fixed things, including wonky turn indicators.

Not saying this will help at all.  But now I always operate Emergency Flasher switch just after startup of engine, just like 2 times while engine is warming up....nothing else to do for those 30 seconds before shifting into reverse anyway.  Want to keep internal contacts clean

I've had a few highway experiences where turning on the Emergency Flashers at least gave some information to nearby drivers on what might happen next.  I think the Emergency Flashers are pretty important. Anyway, not a hard thing to do.  That Emergency Flasher switch might sit there unused for many years, and time and corrosion takes it's toll.  Good thing to attend to even if your Vanagon is perfect otherwise.

RichSan Diego

From: Cunegonde <cunegonde.van.westfalia@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 4:54 PM Subject: Re: No Headlights or Turnsignals but Markers OK Update 4 > Installed new hi-lo switch and indeed, restored all functionality except driver lo beam, and driver front flasher when the parking light is on. The flasher works with all lights off from the dash headlight/parking light switch, same as other three flashers.

Swapping the ignition switch for a new one had zero effect other than enriching Always Veedub another $15.

Earlier, I made a passenger side common bodywork ground for headlight/turnsignal/flasher. They are all working perfectly.

Do the same combined ground on the driver side? Return to tracing circuits? Ideas?

I have SA headlights with wiring harness joining the inners to outer highbeam circuit. As I mentioned, the passenger side lo or hi, the initial problem, now work, but the driver lo and combined flasher and parking light (parking light works with other three) no longer do. The hibeam LED works as designed.