Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Oct 2016 09:41:55 +0200
From:         Raimund Feussner <ray@V6BUS.DE>
Subject:      Re: Dimensions for A/C hoses
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

That´s what I am fearing Dennis.

The condenser is quite hidden, so not much to check without removal. The hoses are spliced with a short piece of Audi A6 hose incl aluminium piping, to connect to the V6 TDI compressor (which looks fine and clean).

Raimund

Am 26.10.2016 um 23:34 schrieb Dennis Haynes: > From experience AC systems that loose refrigerant usually have another problem besides the hoses. Leaking hoses are usually evident from refrigerant oil stains or defects at the system. Typical leak points include the compressor and the condenser. Look carefully for signs of oil stains especially at fittings and near mounting points. I have also seen the evaporators fail but this is rare on the Vanagon. It is surprising common on other cars. If the front of the compressor is dark and there is dirt on the pulley and front this is most likely your leak. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Raimund Feussner > Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:37 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Dimensions for A/C hoses > > Hi Ken, > > I looked at Behr, Diavia and Waeco catalogues for mechanics: seems pretty easy to fabricate yourself if the equipment is available. But probably not worth buying all this for just one hose set. > So I was looking to get the hoses fabricated at some typical hydraulic shop, re-using the existing fittings. > > I appreciate your offer and will come back to it, if my search here isn´t successful. > Usually, A/C components are cheap in the US, but shipping and tax usually ruins the whole deal... > > I don´t have the foam around the valve, and the speaker out. I will have a look. > Just had my hand in there 30min ago to get the stiff drain hose out, but have no oil or green stuff on my hand... > > Raimund > > > Am 26.10.2016 um 14:14 schrieb kenneth wilford (Van-Again): >> Raimund, do you want to fabricate these hoses yourself or are you >> looking for someone to make them up and send them to you? I can make >> custom AC hoses and I have most of the stock Vanagon hoses sitting >> here on the shelf to use as guides to make the new ones. Let me know >> if you would like me to price out making up new hoses for you and >> shipping them to Germany. They would all be brand new barrier style hoses suitable for R134a of course. >> >> As for your leak, I would suspect the expansion valve as they have an >> end piece that is epoxied in place (steel piece in an aluminum block) >> and over time the epoxy can start to fail causing a leak in a place >> that is hard to see unless you drop the rear unit. >> >> Ken >> >> PS Very soon we should have quality reproduction rear AC Evaporators >> available for the passenger Vanagon (I can also have new Westy >> Evaporators made up if there is interest). >> >> Ken >> >> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 4:26 AM, Raimund Feussner <ray@v6bus.de> wrote: >> >>> Hello Group! >>> >>> >>> After retrofitting the factory ´87 tintop A/C in my ´92 Vanagon in >>> 2004, it seems it finally needs new hoses. >>> Refrigerant keeps disappearing quicker and quicker... >>> >>> I re-used the stock ´87 hoses back then, and also the R12 expansion >>> valve (working with R134a since the retrofit). >>> For several reasons, I need to drop the evaporator anyway, so I think >>> this is my best chance to replace all the old stuff including the >>> expansion valve. >>> >>> Does anyone have the information about hose lengths, position of >>> pressure sensors etc on paper? >>> I want to get some quotes from hose suppliers, but don´t want to pull >>> my hoses out upfront, just to learn it´s too expensive. >>> >>> I would prefer the later style hoses, with the trinary pressure >>> switch instead the separate hi/low switches. >>> I like to check the A/C myself as much as possible, and might need to >>> remove the switch without losing refrigerant. >>> >>> Thanks for any help, >>> I am struggling to get this information in Germany, as A/C are rare >>> and servicing extremely expensive. >>> A/C shops keep selling their services as some kind of magic still... >>> >>> History: >>> In 2009, got the system filled by a shop, nice cooling effect. >>> In 2014, system didn´t cool well, I added R134a via Walmart-style >>> re-fill kit (12oz can and gauge). >>> In 2016, system cooled okay´ish in the beginning, but faded quickly >>> in the summer, now not even activating the compressor. >>> Bridged the low pressure switch, compressor kicked in, but no >>> effective cooling after a few minutes idling. No green leak detection >>> fluid can be seen (only visual check at accessible areas without U/V >>> light, no check in evap housing or detailed condenser check). >>> >>> >>> Regards >>> Raimund >>> >>