Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Oct 2016 12:58:57 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '84 1.9L -- cannot remove crankcase drain screw  -- what to
              do              next?
Comments: To: John Lauterbach <john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM>

Same problem with my son's '87, but someone put a tapered plug there, now it has a completely rounded out hex keyhole.

I pump it out. Find a cheap marine oil change pump, you'll find it works very well with warm oil, which is what it should be for changing. I remove the dipstick tube so I can use a larger tube, and it goes straight down to the bottom of the sump.

Removing the plug risks damaging the threads, and then you are really screwed. Do an oil analysis every once in a while too: www.blackstone-labs.com.

Stuart