Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Oct 2016 08:27:07 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      14" tires, report...
Comments: To: "Vanagons and VW Buses (Bays) with VW inline gas engines"
          <vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines@googlegroups.com>

I've just run a few tanks of gas through my tintop 84 5 sp with new Vredistein comtrac tires on the rear(2 wd). These were pointed out by Dennis...195/14 c , a commercial van tire. They are fine at about $100 each from tires easy.com...free delivery.

I have to agree with Scott, who's always suggested "c" rears and "d" fronts...it does make the Vanagon handle well... The 195 size measures about 6" more in circumference than the 205-70R 14 Go Form brand I took off... approximately 10% higher gearing for my van...makes for more shifts on the highway at speed as I "baby" my aging ABA Jetta motor by NOT lugging it...55mph is now right at 3700rpm in 4th gear...so longer more substantial hwy grades find me in 4th more often, while 5th is about 10% lower revving... We'll see on fuel consumption, but I'm guessing it will decline a little from my past 25~...mpg.