Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Oct 2016 10:26:09 +0200
From:         Raimund Feussner <ray@V6BUS.DE>
Subject:      Dimensions for A/C hoses

Hello Group!

After retrofitting the factory ´87 tintop A/C in my ´92 Vanagon in 2004, it seems it finally needs new hoses. Refrigerant keeps disappearing quicker and quicker...

I re-used the stock ´87 hoses back then, and also the R12 expansion valve (working with R134a since the retrofit). For several reasons, I need to drop the evaporator anyway, so I think this is my best chance to replace all the old stuff including the expansion valve.

Does anyone have the information about hose lengths, position of pressure sensors etc on paper? I want to get some quotes from hose suppliers, but don´t want to pull my hoses out upfront, just to learn it´s too expensive.

I would prefer the later style hoses, with the trinary pressure switch instead the separate hi/low switches. I like to check the A/C myself as much as possible, and might need to remove the switch without losing refrigerant.

Thanks for any help, I am struggling to get this information in Germany, as A/C are rare and servicing extremely expensive. A/C shops keep selling their services as some kind of magic still...

History: In 2009, got the system filled by a shop, nice cooling effect. In 2014, system didn´t cool well, I added R134a via Walmart-style re-fill kit (12oz can and gauge). In 2016, system cooled okay´ish in the beginning, but faded quickly in the summer, now not even activating the compressor. Bridged the low pressure switch, compressor kicked in, but no effective cooling after a few minutes idling. No green leak detection fluid can be seen (only visual check at accessible areas without U/V light, no check in evap housing or detailed condenser check).

Regards Raimund