Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Oct 2016 11:13:06 -0700
From:         Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another one of those grounding issues
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

For months I've had an intermittent open symptom/s in my dash. The clock and now the tach lights work when they choose. If I slap the dash cover it has caused them to assert but unless it is humidity (likely) I don't know what to look into. I tried to remove the tach lamp holder from the mount a few weeks ago and was unsuccessful (paranoid about the film circuit and plastic in general). I suspect I caused one 'open' when screwing with the lamp but perhaps a second and root cause of both a ground crown.

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Whoops, sorry John, lack of coffee, misread your post. Behind, or rather > infront , of my glove box is a big audio amp. Ya makes yer choices :-) > > Alistair > > > On Oct 30, 2016, at 10:02 AM, John Rodgers <jrodgers113@gmail.com> > wrote: > > > > A suggestion - and a project! Behind the fuse and around the grounding > crowns is a virtual rats nest. An addition space for another fuse block or > grounding crowns is behind the glove box. Unhook the hinges of the box and > there's lots of room to work. > > > > John > > > > > >> On Oct 30, 2016 11:29, "Alistair Bell" <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > >> Couple of weeks ago I was mucking around behind the fuse panel trying > to reset the left hand fresh air vent on the dash. It wasn't fully seated > and I had to get behind it to get it into place. > >> > >> You know how it is when you drop the fuse panel, it's tight back up > there and I always fear the worst, that I might dislodge something > electrical. > >> > >> And it seemed that I did, for afterwards my instrument panel acted > differently. The coolant gauge needle read higher, the coolant warning > light flowed dimly, the tach read high. And these three things acted even > more differently when the head lights were turned on. > >> > >> Yup, I had dislodged a ground on one of the grounding crowns. Back in I > went and found the loose ground. > >> > >> Just one of those things, not much of a message here that you all don't > know already. :-) > >> > >> Alistair >

-- Neil2 '82 Diesel Westfalia (Ducky) '86 Vanagon (SaVannah) '08 170" 2500 Mega Roof Sprinter (Moby) '90 Westfalia Subagon (SaL) Fulltiming since August 2008 Nunquam Pendite Divendium