Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Nov 2016 21:25:29 -0400
From:         Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: soundproofing
Comments: To: Edward V Barger <edvbarger@mac.com>

Only need to cover about 25% with Fatmat type material for effective sound-deadening, both from what I read on-line, and from what I experienced doing it first-hand. Before I had received that advice, I did my passenger door and tried to cover every square inch that I could get to and boy what a pain that was. I was using Dynamat. It sounds great. Then I found a site, which I can't find just at the moment, that had some good information on sound deadening and insulating, and had the 25% recommendation. I then did the driver's side using that recommendation and the remaining Dynomat that I had. It also sounds great, though there is a subtle difference in the two. It's not enough of a difference to make up for that other 75% and the headaches involved trying to get it there.

Thus far I've only done the two front doors and I need to go further, but I'm not sure how much further, as I don't have AC, so the windows will always be down in the summer. I'm not sure about the wheel wells, but one thing is sure. I really wish I had done the front sheet metal when I had the dash out. The wind and rain noise there is substantial and more noticeable now.

I am intending to do the hatch and slider but, since they are already insulated, I went for the low-hanging fruit of the front doors.

My two cents, Marc Perdue

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Edward V Barger <edvbarger@mac.com> wrote: > Dennis from Go Westy suggested this below for the engine compartment on the engine side > > https://www.summitracing.com/parts/the-14100?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-thermo-tec&gclid=CP--wYmwiNACFQSUfgodndkGVw <https://www.summitracing.com/parts/the-14100?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-thermo-tec&gclid=CP--wYmwiNACFQSUfgodndkGVw> > > > I am going to have to divide this up and do what is necessary to get out for winter camping here in So Cal then do the rest as I go along with more time and $ > > am also remodeling apartments in a building we bought for retirement > > and started to remodel our kitchen in our old house built in 1922 had to put that on hold till next year > > now at 75 do not seem to get as much done or just taking too much on > > still working on final designs for additional LED lighting units, editing a video for the web site that is for this business I am now the minority share holder > > Barger-lite.com we have one LED product now and am just getting it on the web site > > thanks for the help from all on this site > > ed > > > Edward V Barger > edvbarger@mac.com > 310 922 6251 > > > >> On Nov 1, 2016, at 2:50 PM, turbotransporter <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> >> Ha! You are a unique case where this option is concerned but I've read enough of your posts that I'd definitely put my money on you getting it done!! >> >> Sent from my way cool iPhone. >> >>> On Nov 1, 2016, at 1:41 PM, Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET> wrote: >>> >>> I used Fat Mat and I think I got a much better price on amazon. >>> >>> You would not want to see my van if I tried painting on Lizard skin! I was much safeer with peel and press. This stuff is not messy. >>> >>> >>> >>> Eric Caron >>> >>> >>>> On Nov 1, 2016, at 3:46 PM, Edward V Barger <edvbarger@MAC.COM> wrote: >>>> >>>> I really have no idea of the square footage and just how much of it needs to be covered to work >>>> >>>> I am sure will want to completely cover the fire wall and engine compartment >>>> >>>> as for the doors and side walls it seems like it is not necessary to cover them entirely from what I have observed on line >>>> >>>> I will be removing the headliner to instal wiring to the luggage rack for my solar panel so most likely should install some FM there also >>>> >>>> Think there is a lot of noise from the wheel wells and floor board in the front so need some thing there also >>>> >>>> Also plan to instal insulation in the doors and side walls not sure which to use there also will check to see what others have done >>>> >>>> am taking the top and luggage rack to be painted end of the week once I have it back and installed want to tackle the sound deadening >>>> >>>> all has been delayed as some broken bones in my right hand heal even being on the computer has been a pain >>>> >>>> for now the van sets in a neighbor’s yard with car cover and blue tarp >>>> >>>> much todo >>>> >>>> ed >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Edward V Barger >>>> edvbarger@mac.com >>>> 310 922 6251 >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>> On Nov 1, 2016, at 12:33 PM, Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >>>>> >>>>> It's been years since I bought mine but that sounds steep on a per square foot basis. Five feet by 18 inches is 7.5 square feet, and that price you mentioned works out to $2.92 per square foot. I'll let you do the math on the van interior, but if you figure the area in square feet of the side walls below the windows, the hatch and the floor you might be shocked at the total times 2.92. And that does not include the front floor, doors or ceiling. And don't forget to calculate in your freight. >>>>> Stephen >>>>> >>>>> On Tuesday, November 1, 2016 3:04 PM, Edward V Barger <edvbarger@MAC.COM> wrote: >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> Go westy has Fat mat sheets 5 ft x 18 inches for $ 21.95 each >>>>> >>>>> is this a good price or can it be had for less >>>>> >>>>> and how many 5 ft x 18 inch sheets would be needed to do a rather good job including the floor, all doors , side panels , fire wall >>>>> >>>>> ed >>>>> Edward V Barger >>>>> edvbarger@mac.com >>>>> 310 922 6251 >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>> On Oct 31, 2016, at 11:44 AM, Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> It is thin so I have a couple layers in spots. Not really necessary, I learned after applying it. Thing is, anything on a bare expense of sheet metal will damp the sound. Tapping the outside now returns a thump instead of a gong. >>>>>> >>>>>> Stephen >>>>>> >>>>>> Mobile >>>>>> >>>>>>> On Oct 31, 2016, at 1:46 PM, Raimund Feussner <ray@v6bus.de> wrote: >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Whooieh! That´s some shiny Vanagon >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Looks quite thin, so more heat proofing than sound? >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Raimund >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>> Am 31.10.2016 um 18:15 schrieb Stephen Grisanti: >>>>>>>> I used several rolls of foil-backed asphaltish B-Quiet years ago in our '87 Westy and when that ran out I used cheaper and similar Peel & Stick roofing material from the hardware store. Only had one piece come loose inside the driver's door and it gummed up the window but I cleaned that up and replaced it and have had no trouble since. I also took the precaution of taping all the seams with metal foil tape (not duct tape) to keep the gooey stuff away from surfaces I did not want gooed. >>>>>>>> Let me know if this photo link does not work for you:https://get.google.com/albumarchive/112729414255295600165/album/AF1QipPwCdrUOQZbNYvVI_rrJwRXplx7RnZaDa2J3CqK >>>>>>>> Stephen >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> On Monday, October 31, 2016 12:38 PM, Dan N <dn92610@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> the OEM firewall insulation is quite thick and I couldn't find it... so I >>>>>>>> use the Fat Mat and double it >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>> >>>>>