Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 2016 08:17:19 -0500
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: SA 15 inch alloys, cap-cover
Comments: To: Chris S <szpejankowski@gmail.com>

Sean, Chris, et. al,

Those were the days! When I got truck loads of cheap Vanagon specific wheels from South Africa and sold them every other day of the week! These center caps were discontinued way back in the early 2000s and I have done some searching and can't even find the part number for them. It should be something like 22S601171 with some letter at the end. The 22S is a South African only part number and since this rim was discontinued there long ago, I am sure there is no stock in SA except for a used one here or there.

So the best thing to do is post this on thesamba and see if you can get a group purchase together for enough of these covers to make the $800 fiberglass thing worthwhile. Or you could find a shop that could machine copies out of billet aluminium for around $100 a pop. In the last days of these rims, my supplier ran out of center caps but not out of rims. They told us to continue to sell the rims and that in the near future they were reproducing the center caps. I think we had to wait almost a year and what we got was a cheesy, plastic cap that was a pale imitation of the original metal one. If you still have your metal caps, I would just find a good paint man who can repair any damage on them with filler and then have the wheels repainted to match. That would be cheaper than any of these alternatives.

OK, now I will come back to the present day where everyone is slapping repro Chinese MB knock off rims on their vans that aren't rated for the weight of the super burdened down vans. I haven't sold an alloy rims since the SA rims left the playing field. Just don't want to get involved in selling rims that aren't rated for the van along with fancy tires that are also not properly load rated, but "will be fine" we promise.

Ken

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com