Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Nov 2016 12:31:29 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mechanical/Brakes/1984 Westy
Comments: To: Eric Wunrow <VW@ericwunrow.com>

What colour was the brake fluid that was bled out? Master cylinder finally failed due to old fluid ?? Did you see bubbles at each bleeder? On my bus, one caliper bleeder screw will allow air in between threads; it appears as if there's a bunch of air in system when there is not.

long shot:

someone pushed the brake pedal while callipers were off knuckle during bearing job? Brake pedal traveled further than normal and internal seal(s) was damaged?

I"m not trying to blame the mechanic here but in my limited experience, with the callipers removed from steering knuckles, the pistons shouldn't move. i.e. doing just bearings, when reinstalling the caliper, the pads should slip right over the rotor.

Neil.

On 11/19/16, Eric Wunrow <VW@ericwunrow.com> wrote:

> Regardless, early this week I had an independent VW mechanic install new > inner and outer bearings on both fronts. When seeing his shop, faith took a > dive but I gave the benefit of the doubt. When both bearings came loose in a > one-mile test drive, faith lessened. < Yes, he reused the retainer nuts > which I later learned is as spooky as it gets! > > > When the speedo suddenly didn't work, and brake pedal pressure was > equally-suddenly inconsistent, he passed it all off as "coincidental" and my > faith went to zero. I do not think he opened any bleeds or anything else to > introduce air. He did not put anything between the front pads to keep them > the proper distance apart. I believe I had new brake lines installed 36,000 > miles ago. I had him bleed the fronts a little and re-adjust the retainer > nuts (getting spookier!), and though the brakes were the same, at least the > wheels didn't fly off on the drive to Miami! > > But as eluded to, the worst part is my perfectly-functioning brakes are all > over the place in pressure: One heavy braking, all the way to the floor... > Pump them once or twice, fine... Next time, same or somewhere in-between. > Said mechanic claimed it all as total coincidence, or that the rear brakes > needed adjustment. Huh… > > EVERYTHING but the bearings were working perfectly until he opened his > toolbox. > > I limped it 80 miles to a friend's in Miami. We just bled the brakes as per > the manual, RR first, LR second, RF third, LF last. Lots of air in there > from a quite-baffling source. After bleeding the pedal was nice and stiff as > a board. When I fired it up, the pedal goes a little softer but I think this > is normal. First time on out road test the brakes went to the floor again. > > > PLEASE HELP, and Thanks!!! > > Eric > Eric Wunrow Pictures > 303. 988. 8717 > > VW@EricWunrow.com (for this list's emails) > EW@EricWunrow.com (for private messages) >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>