Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Nov 2016 12:23:14 -0500
From:         Eric Wunrow <VW@ERICWUNROW.COM>
Subject:      Re: three blind mice
Comments: To: David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>

After living full-time in our '84 for 40 months, THIS is something I know about!

After trying several live trap brands made of plastic, all bought at Ace Hardware — one was good but the first mouse we ever caught chewed his way out the door! — we finally settled on a small (maybe 10" long), galvanized steel live trap — as I love critters and don't like killing them for doing what they're built to do. We use a dab of peanut butter, about as much as for a PB&J, put it in the bottom-center of the trap floor, and put a lid of water in there in case it's more than a few hours until we let them out… but ONLY at least a mile from where we catch them! Place the trap centered at the base of the fridge, because under there is where they love to hang out and play Tom & Jerry reruns...

Another awesome method which is actually kinda fun… while in the downstairs bed with our heads to the rear of the buggy, I hold 25 feet or so of parachute cord and tie a six-inch-minimum loop in one end, loop the line loosely through the cord and through the handles on a plastic shopping bag, put the bag FLAT on the floor behind the front passenger seat with peanut butter in the center, and the critters will find it within five minutes of dead silence at night. A small lamp so you can barely see them helps, and when they're in the bag and chowing away, yank the cord as fast as you can and jump forward to seal off the top of the bag.

Works like a charm, and you can regale your Grandkids with your "Days of the Wilderness Trapper" stories...

Eric Eric Wunrow Pictures 303. 988. 8717

VW@EricWunrow.com (for this list's emails) EW@EricWunrow.com (for private messages)