Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Nov 2016 20:52:01 +0000
From:         Sean Garrett <doit.outdoors@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: My Engine Has Bit the Dust
Comments: To: Aristotle Sagan <killer.jupiter@GMAIL.COM>

Agreed, Subaru 2.5 in mine since 2001, love that engine. Runs like a mule ! Twice the power. Sean G From: Aristotle Sagan <killer.jupiter@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 1:46 PM Subject: Re: My Engine Has Bit the Dust Replacing the 1.9 with a 1.9 is so easy you shouldn't ever think of having someone else do it. All they can do is screw it up. I did mineĀ  in my garage in a day with a rolling floor jack, some straps, a come-a-long, and some 4x4 wooden blocks. Things every Vanagon owner should have. The upgrade (?) to a 2.1 is pretty easy, the list archives will talk you through the changes required. Only about 30,000 emails on theĀ  subject. If it were mine, I would take the opportunity to think about a Subie upgrade and never worry about it again.

tim in san jose

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Steve Bonde <seb007@live.com> wrote:

> I just finished an upgrade to a 2000 Forester 2.5 rebuilt engine using a > Rocky Mountain Westy kit. It couldn't have been easier to do myself. They > walked me through the hard parts and Mark, Joe, and Mike were always ready > to answer my questions. > > Since I live a reasonable distance from them and just had rotator cuff > repair, I took it to them to do a checkout on my work and some finishing > touches. > > Don't be so quick to decide you can't do it yourself and because it's so > straight forward your mechanic should breeze through it. > > Sent from my iPhone > > > On Nov 15, 2016, at 1:24 PM, Ryan Perry <rjdperry@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > > My 84, 1.9 manual westy with 198k miles, Artie McPartie, has gone the way > > of the ghost. Driving down hwy yesterday after a pretty good clip up hill > > the engine lost power and will no longer start. Towed to my mechanic and > it > > is 0 compression in cylinders 1 and 3. He didn't dig much deeper other > than > > it needs a new engine. > > > > I am at a loss here. I know I have gotten many years out of my van and > will > > get many more and should expect that any investment will get me returns. > I > > also knew this day was coming after getting the dreaded oil light after > hwy > > stretches. I am not made of money and want to make a good decision on > next > > steps. > > > > And with that, I turn to this...the smartest group of van owners I know. > > > > I want to keep a waterboxer, I know the engine and I like its > simplicity. I > > would love to upgrade to a 2.1 or more if it is worth the price. I am > > located in Asheville, NC and would not be doing any of the work myself. > My > > mechanic can take delivery and do the install. (I do my fair share of > work > > but feel this is out of my league) > > > > So, any ideas out there on next steps? Thanks in advance for your help! > > Ryan >

-- Where ever you are, there you be. Unless you're driving my van, in which case, you ain't got there yet.