Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Nov 2016 10:58:11 -0800
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vredestein Comtrac Winter tire
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

So, I found that tires-easy no longer has the Vredestein Comtrac (all season) tire. It is listed now as "out of stock." My inquiry as to when it might be available got an answer of "Not known." I think that tires-easy's business is finding odd lots from dealers and shippers, so they may never have the tire again, or any given tire.

I found two other web dealers who offered the tire, one for $140 no shipping charge, one for $130 plus $20 shipping. I called the latter and got them down to $138, no shipping charge, but really wanted to buy locally from someone who would handle any warranty needs and who would keep the tires balanced and rotated.

Discount Tire, my preferred tire dealer, said they could not get the tire, something about not having a "relationship" with Vredestein USA. I didn't inquire as to what "relationships" two tire companies might have ;-}. A manager at Discount did say that Vredestein USA offers a lot of commercial tires (this is one), and that Discount does not handle commercial tires. I've seen a lot of delivery vehicles at their shops getting tires, however.

I found a very helpful young man at my local Les Schwabb dealer, who said he didn't know the tire or even the company, but he spent a lot of time looking for it. He then quoted me $103 per tire, $20 shipping, and $13.95 lifetime rotation and balance for the 195R14C. The load index is 106 (D rating), and the tire bears the mountain peak and snowflake symbol. I told him to order five of them for me. I will replace my Hankook RA08s with them, and he will credit me $125 for the five of them, bringing my out of pocket down that amount. One has less than 1K miles, the other four have just over 5K (rotated).

If anyone wanted to come to Spokane to get them and would give me $250 for all 5, and be here next week for sure (meet me at Les Schwabb for my appointment, not set yet, or come to house after), I would sell them to a list member. Otherwise I'll just take his credit, as I don't want to have them laying around while I try to sell them. Email me privately and we'll talk. I won't ship them.

mcneely