Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Nov 2016 20:58:37 +0000
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 14" tires, report...
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

I like the look of steelies and when I was planning to upgrade from stock I couldn't find anything for less than about $100 per wheel, unless you count the $25 each Tire Rack 16" MB steelie blowout a few years ago, but I snoozed on that one with the predictable outcome.  The cheapest 16s I could find were used CLK alloys for $200 for four, about the going rate in a lot of places.  They go for much more in some locations, although most Merc guys evidently don't like the look of that wheel and unload them to get 17s.  Buying new small ball seat lugs from T3 Technique and finding the wheels locally (courtesy of a WTB ad in CL) kept the total under $300.  Less than the price of new steelies, either 15s or 16s. I had two replies to my ad; the first guy wanted way too much but by waiting two weeks I got offered a second set more in my price range.  I had also scoured junkyards for various Mercedes offerings.  No CLKs there but plenty of other alloys in 14" and 15" and 16" but only the CLKs let you get away with the stock length lugs.  The only Merc steelies I found in my searching were 14 inchers from '70s and older sedans.  I gather that most '80s and later Mercs--anything that would have had larger wheels--came to the States with alloy, not steel, wheels. Unless a set of wheels drops into your lap for a great price (someone upping from 15" to 16" maybe) I think CLKs will be your best bet.  Good luck! Stephen