Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Nov 2016 22:35:16 -0800
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: another chain question
Comments: To: David McNeely <davmcneely40@gmail.com>

dear chains

quoting the recently passed Leonard Cohen -

Ah, the moon's too bright

The chain's too tight

The beast ---

but seriously folks -- chains on tires is a simple question especially for those in the pacific north west or anywhere the internet does flow -- this is shte specific link to the tire size stated http://lacledechain.com/traction/passengercar/alpinepremier the c is not required - there are actually three different chain products offered -

*Tire size:* *195R14* Alpine Premier <http://lacledechain.com/traction/pass_chain.php?tiresize=195R14#> 1540 <http://lacledechain.com/traction/pass_chain.php?tiresize=195R14#> Passenger Link Chain <http://lacledechain.com/traction/pass_chain.php?tiresize=195R14#> 1134 <http://lacledechain.com/traction/pass_chain.php?tiresize=195R14#> Cable Chain <http://lacledechain.com/traction/pass_chain.php?tiresize=195R14#> 1034 <http://lacledechain.com/traction/pass_chain.php?tiresize=195R14#>

A number of years ago i stopped at a les shwaube in Vancouver Washington -- the helpful sales guy knew nothing about chains - told me it did nt matter that the Michelin tires from Go westy were not listed on the bag of "chains" they sold as the chains they sold fit all tires of that near size -- i got on the internet found a laclede website and had the chains sent to me in ohio - my destination then -

1. those cables are not chains and they may work for a quick get out dodge moment -- but i have no empirical evidence as to an extended drive period such as 60 - 100 miles - 30 miles up to the pass and all the driving down - you know real life --

2. Real chains fit and can be retightened as you go along - and you should retighten chins regularly along the way - use high quality bungy cables to pull in the slack in the centre of your wheel -

3. steering wheel chain - that is for really harsh conditions and no not all chain ups are harsh conditions - sometimes you only need to go forward and not have your drive wheel slip - so you chain up both rear - sometimes when the snow or mud is really deep and clogging up the works you want the front to PUSH strait as you point her not strait as she slides across the packed mud or snow - a steering chain allows you to fight the conditions and control the PUSH strait as you go forward especially on the slight curves of the road -- typically on the starboard side of the vehicle --

Learned all this driving semi in the oil field doing fractures in places that the map makers have never told google about - mud so deep and sticky that the chains once installed acted more like a rotary shovel mining the mud which stuck to the wheels until it packed up adding inches to our profile -- with thousands of pounds (80K ) loaded of truck and load - about 42K empty there was loads of horsepower and we chianed up two wheels on trailer and one steering wheel - then chained up two trailer wheels on the same axle to ensure the trailer would follow -- then after all is said and done get the cat skinner to pull at about 1 mile /hour - my last trip we spent 18 hours to go a couple of miles -- i unchained and drove on - not knowing i passed the scout - of course now with smooth road i soon fell asleep and drove right off the road - i decided that i was not the person to be working at that level anymore - and i left the tractor operations to those better suited to the opportunity --

had to use my chains on the westy to get myself out of mud twice - Had to use the chains on my westy to drive around victoria BC on the rare occasion of a winter storm which ran for three days - they do not have the pow resources to dig out and i was able to conduct all my city business with out delay and play good samaritan to many cause i also carry a shovel when i travel - both square and a spade

what was that L. Cohen was saying--

Ah, the moon's too bright

The chain's too tight

The beast won't go to sleep

I've been running through

these promises to you

That I made and I could not keep

Ah but a man never gota woman back

Not by begging on his knees

Or I'd crawl to you baby And I'd fall at your feet

And I'd howl at your beauty Like a dog in heat

And I'd claw at your heart And I'd tear at your sheet I'd say please, please I'm your man ---

regards -- roger whittaker 604.414.6266

---------------------------------------------------------- PR MARINE SURVEYORS & http://www.tvthatworks.com http://www.tvpowellriver.com LinkedIn -

- ca.linkedin.com/pub/roger-whittaker/14/78a/b71/Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://www.youtube.com/user/LastonLastof#g/u http://vimeo.com/42309497

http://www.prpeak.com/articles/2010/11/29/multimedia/video/doc4c62e5f80d228504902172.txt