Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Nov 2016 08:28:25 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Help with a fueling problem diagnosis long.
Comments: To: "Vanagons and VW Buses (Bays) with VW inline gas engines"
          <vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines@googlegroups.com>

The Digifant 84 tintop with ABA hybrid gas motor, stuck in there using the Vw diesel mounts and 5 sp trans. Digifant, can be considered a stock van for this purpose. I had an "engine sputters and dies, starts, but won't keep running" event s week or two past, so I removed the pre-filter and shot some (15psi) air back into the gas tank to perhaps clear the fuel screen... That worked, but yesterday, in a blizzard in Tonapah, NV. It did the same...started, but in a few seconds, sputters out again....ok, fuel pump sounded normal. Flexed and squeezed the hose from the tank to the pump, thinking "ice in the fuel line?"...Key off, start....run right for a few seconds, then die. Key off, then start, it repeats...So I swapped in another used but good temp II sensor...and that "fixed it"....I thought. (this pit-stop to change the temp II took about 1/2 hr, the time sitting may be what "fixed"it)... I did NOT want to lie in the snow and swap fuel pumps... But 100 mi. down the Hwy, leaving Beatty, NV to cut across death valley, after topping up with gas, it sputtered....for maybe 15 seconds, then cleared up and ran right again....So that was 3 times screwing up...and not very comfortable-making, heading out across Death Valley with the So Cal freeway system ahead, on Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend.

A few more symptoms this glitch happens, I think, when it's really wet, but that could be wrong...My fuel consumption stayed pretty normal...26 mpg with the wind. All the other instruments stayed normal. I'm figuring, and here's where some helpful opinions are solicited, that in no discernible order of probability, my problems must be one of these things:... A partially plugged fuel pickup in the tank... The Temp II sensor is intermittent.... The fuel pump is faulty, sometimes..the pump wiring gets wet... I am not in a great situation to throw parts at it right now(in the desert for my Mexico dentist appointment)..so wadda ya think I should begin with, besides checking wires and connections? thanks