Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Dec 2016 10:47:58 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Over Torque Crank Bolt Damage Threads? Gas Jetta engine in
              Vanagon)
Comments: To: David Bohannan <fjazzbass@gmail.com>

Thanks for that info. Yes. Basically, that was my understanding of the TTY bolt. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I "reefed" really hard on that crank bolt at least several times. Initially, my new torque wrench refused to "click". (set to 66 ft lb) Comparing the damaged bolt to 2 used bolts I have on hand, it's obvious where the damaged bolt narrows near mid point. I'll post a picture.

Since damage to the bolt in question is obvious, my guess is that it likely took the "hit"; it was the sacrificial item, not the crank threads. I didn't see any damage at the sprocket.

Reading further, TTY (aka tension to yield) and stretch bolt may refer to the same type of bolt. My Jetta Bentley manual refers to head bolts, crank pulley bolt as "stretch bolts". It's interesting that it specifies 'lightly oiling' threads/shoulder of crank bolt but not the head bolts. (the head bolt has a thick washer, crank bolt no washer)

Neil.

On 12/1/16, David Bohannan <fjazzbass@gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't that the purpose of a TTY bolt? Go in once and lock in place by its > own actual deformation- from Wikipedia: > ........ > > My son used TTY on his cyl heads after someone reused old TTY bolts and > ended up with a head gasket leak- one time use means they warp on the way > in- right??? Is it possible that the torque you applied was just doing the > work of locking it in place?

>> On Dec 1, 2016, at 1:41 AM, Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>> The crank threads looked ok, I installed a new bolt. Since the over >> torqued bolt actually narrowed a bit about 1/2 way down the threads, >> it's likely the only thing that got damaged.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>