Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Dec 2016 07:46:04 -0500
From:         David Bohannan <fjazzbass@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Over Torque Crank Bolt Damage Threads? Gas Jetta engine in
              Vanagon)
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Isn't that the purpose of a TTY bolt? Go in once and lock in place by its own actual deformation- from Wikipedia:

A torque to yield fastener (TTY) is mounting hardware in the form of a fastener which is torqued beyond the state of elasticity and therefore undergoes plastic deformation, causing it to become permanently elongated.[1]Torquing a fastener to yield results in a high preloading of the fastener which, depending on the load frequency and amplitude, can significantly increase the fatigue life of the fastener. When the applied load doesn't surpass the clamping force of the fastener, the strain of the fastener will be lower than when the preloading is smaller than the applied load. It is therefore beneficial in high-frequency high-load situations with a higher risk of fatigue related failure, like a bolted down cylinder head, to use torque to yield bolts.

My son used TTY on his cyl heads after someone reused old TTY bolts and ended up with a head gasket leak- one time use means they warp on the way in- right??? Is it possible that the torque you applied was just doing the work of locking it in place?

I defer to the more seasoned guys....

Dave