Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Dec 2016 03:41:38 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Mr Heater
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Don, I am fully in agreement with your choice of Mr Heater.  I have the Little Buddy heater; same principle as the bigger one, just smaller.  Works great.  ESPECIALLY in low humidity and low elevations like you are now dealing with in the Southern California deserts.  I was amazed and thrilled first time I used it.

Yes, the issues are getting rid of carbon monoxide and water vapor; a generous crack in the side windows, both sides, and a passage for stuff to go out the vent upstairs, and you've got a nice, tidy, comfy little Vanagon world. Word is that it fails above 7,000 feet....but that is not the situation where you are now, in the low desert.  Actually, I've never tried mine above 7,000 feet.  Like in the Eastern Sierras at late Spring or early Fall.

Yeah, pretty nice to be warm and comfy; my Little Buddy Heater from Mr Heater is packed and ready to go with a couple green propane cylinders from Walmart, you know, the little ones.  Might go this weekend.  Vanagon comfort at its finest. The desert out there is starting to look mighty nice; couple more rainstorms and we are in good shape.

RichSan Diego

From: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2016 6:50 PM Subject: Mr Heater I just came through a few days of cold weather in my tintop/westie... The wind howling, snow blowing at elevation, and cold rain elsewhere.  This trip, I have along a Mr. Heater, a catalytic propane unit that uses those small green propane  cylinders or  connects to a normal tank with a hose. I can't believe I've camped and traveled for so long without any real heat...   The heater gets the van comfortable in a few minutes, it has two temp. settings and a pilot light, a low O2 shutoff and a tip over switch.  I've not timed how long the small cannisters will go.  Pretty compact when using the small size propane, which tucks into the housing nicely.  These heat soundlessly, almost..  fairly reasonable.... I gave $60 + 20 for the hose to a bigger refillable tank.  Pretty cheesy construction, but it works great ..and no more diving right into a sleeping bag as soon as dinner has cooked, to keep from freezing...     A thumbs up. https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/395472-mr-heater-portable-buddy-propane-heater.html?feedsource=3&gclid=Cj0KEQiAsf_BBRDMpoOHw4aSq4QBEiQAPm7DL-2y2en3ABEpOhxnGay7WV5678qK_u51FhG-6Cy1HdcaArlf8P8HAQ

Sheesh, big link there.. sending by Android from the desert