Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Dec 2016 10:56:54 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Report: Front shock dust cover bumper
Comments: To: "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@comcast.net>

Hi all.

I cleaned the broken sleeve and bumper surfaces with brake parts cleaner, roughed up the surfaces then used Goop to re-attach the dust cover back on at each sleeve-bumper assembly. I had to laugh at my previous attempt to attach a dust sleeve. I used silicone! Laughable! This was done some years ago so that's my excuse. LOL. ;) Given that one sleeve was still hanging on by about 1/8 of the original material, and may have done so for some time, I'd think that if the dust cover is bonded (repaired) so that it's somewhat stable, and one does normal paved road driving, the repair may survive for a while. I basically glued (back filled) 2 of the lower bellow parts together. The Goop appears to hold the part well but it's no installed yet. Caveat: making the bellows stiffer via a repair may not be best. I can see the bond cracking over time.

As Ken suggests, the bumper portion indeed appears to be ok and should provide some years more of service. It is, understandably, quite a stout looking part.

Over on the samba, Mark Drillock kindly posted some rough measurements of the bumper portion as did I (inadvertent timing of posts) although I think I measured from a different point. Measuring from the face at step in metal insert buried *inside* the bushing, (where shcek strut collar sits, I think), to lower face of the bumper, I saw ~ 65 mm. The OEM rubber donut and washer being used in place of the OEM bumper are less thick; I would suggest that using those parts in place of the OEM bumper is a poor and risky repair method. On the way into barrego springs CA, I hit some HUGE awful road dips. All 4 of my springs must've bottomed out. The dips were so bad, all the coins from my friends 85 westy ashtray jumped out spilling all over the place. I suspect driving over these dips may have damaged the new front shocks; the non oem "bumper" could've allowed the shock strut to travel too far into the shock and there could've been metal to metal contact vs the OEM metal to rubber contact. (Top of shock body to bumper).

Neil.

On Monday, December 19, 2016, kenneth wilford (Van-Again) < kenwilfy@comcast.net <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','kenwilfy@comcast.net');>> wrote:

... Beside that metal bushing and the dust covers being thrown away for > some reason, the upper rubber bump stop thing is usually still fine as a > used unit. > > >

> [...]

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>