Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Jan 2017 18:00:39 -0800
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      trip and "Westy" encounter

Some of you may recall that Bonnie and I had planned to drive to S California for Christmas and beyond from Spokane. As it turns out, we made the trip, but did not drive down. First Bonnie, then I got anxious about the weather and road conditions. We were wise to back out on driving, as it turns out.

So, we flew to LA (actually Burbank) , where we had checked out renting a camping van. But when we told our friends in Thousand Oaks of our plans, they insisted that we take their Eurovan. We did, to Joshua Tree NP, Ash Meadows NWR, and Death Valley NP. Joshua tree was so full of millennial aged folks "camping" for the New Year period (actually partying, and not quietly), and had terrible weather (rain, cold, wind), that we headed on up toward Death Valley. We did have one good day at Joshua Tree, and therein is the Vanagon content. We hiked to 49 Palms Oasis (beautiful place), where we spent most of a day. Upon return to the parking lot, there was a bundle of firewood behind the driver's side front wheel, with a note that read:

"Dear Fellow Westy owner, I hope you can use this. I have to catch a flight to Wisconsin, and so am passing it along to a fellow Westy owner. Love, a fellow enthusiast. P.S. Vanagons are way cooler than Eurovans."

Well, Bonnie and I thought we knew so before, and now we REALLY do. The Eurovan requires premium fuel. It has lower ground clearance, thus not as good on back country roads. It is way less convenient for camping. The upper bunk has to be manually lifted and shifted to the back to obtain headroom, and it is really heavy. Because of the engine in the front, the space inside the van is shortened, and thus it is cramped for any activity between the front seats and the rear seat.

However, the EV will cruise at 70 mph, if that's what one wants, and if one can ever find a time when LA area freeway traffic is not bumper to bumper. AAA said 2h 50 min Thousand Oaks to Joshua Tree. Our friends in Thousand Oaks said "No way, more like four or four and a half hours." It took us six hours.

We did see a fair number of Vanagons in both Joshua Tree and Death Valley NPs, as well as on the roads between and from Death Valley back to Thousand Oaks. We also saw two old VW Bus campers, being employed as campers.

mcneely