Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jan 2017 09:37:30 -0500
From:         Bob Pogue <bpogue@C5CI.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2003 Eurovan Weekender - heating and power for camper

I've owned pop top/camper versions of the T2, T3 and currently own a 2003 Weekender and a 2017 Roadtrek SS-Agile (Sprinter). The 2003 Weekender is my daily driver. The T2 and T3 both offer nostalgia in spades but I moved on to the T4 to get better reliability and safety. I opted for the Westfalia Weekender over the Winnebago Camper to get the higher quality build the Westfalia offers. The top and interior components are much better made. Its also really easy to buy "California" items from Europe that snap right in. I love the flexibility it gives me to travel anywhere and stay if I choose. It fits in to every parking deck I've ever come acres. It is very reliable and is really nice to drive in good and bad weather. The automatic transmission seems to be a problem for some folks but mine is performing very well at 142,0000 miles with no major repairs. I've always changed the fluid at 15,000 mile intervals and have never found any debris in the pan or filter. If it ever does fail I'll just install a four cylinder TDI and one of the readily available 4 speed manual transmission kits. Their are outfits all over Europe that will send you a kit with what you need. I left the T2 and the T3 behind as I wanted better reliability and safety.

I saw a comment about the upper bunk being difficult to use and I've never found that to be the case. The front part of the bunk simply lifts and clips to the roof to provide more headroom when needed. When camping with one or two I will often just lift the front part out and leave it at home and use the downstairs for sleeping. The upper bunk in all of the versions I've owned is uncomfortable in comparison to the lower bunk without additional padding.

I've set mine up with a nice utility pod that provides everything you need to turn it in to a full camper when desired. The pod can be removed in about ten minutes if the original setting configuration is required. All Weekenders are prewired for an auxiliary battery that is located under the driver's set. You may just have to purchase one and install it.

I've received a lot of questions about my Weekender modifications from folks over the last few years and have put together a little blog with the answers. http://blog.westy.club .

Good luck with your search and decision. Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Bob 2003 Weekender