Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jan 2017 10:04:13 -0800
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need help for forgetful Son -- leaving the lights on -- 84
              Vanagon 1.9L engine, automatic transmission
Comments: To: Michael McSwain <michaelmcswain@gmail.com>

When I was 17, a couple of buddies and I got ourselves in jail for having a couple of cases of beer in the car, in a "dry" county in Texas. Not only was it illegal for 17 year olds to have beer, but it was illegal to transport more than 24 bottles or cans for personal consumption (to one's home only) in that county. Now, granted, there were fewer than 24 bottles per person, but still, we were 17, and we weren't taking the beer home. The charge was "minor in possession of an alcoholic beverage." We were some 80 miles from home on a fishing trip.

We all duly called our parents, as the deputy sheriff who put us in the slammer told us (approximately, it's been a while) "You boys better call your folks, otherwise, chances are you'll just stay here till the judge gets ready to deal with you, maybe a week or two."

I said to my father, "Dad, you've got to come down here and get me out." My loving father responded, "I didn't get you in." There weren't any bad guys in the jail, just a couple of drunks, who told us that they were generally locked up until they were sober, then released, no formal procedures even recorded.

After two nights (we were sober to start with), we were released, no bail paid, no hearing scheduled, just, "Now you boys run along home, and don't be gettin' in no more trouble." Later we learned that there had been conversations but no money or lawyers involved among our parents and the sheriff's office. All my father ever said to me about it was that he hoped I didn't get lice in jail. My mother did speak to me about it, but mainly just to reinforce that people are responsible for their own behaviors, and the consequences. I won't say I have lived up 100% to their expectations, but I didn't take beer to Johnson County, Texas again, and I've tried to manage my own needs.

I have been back a few times, the Brazos River was a great camping and fishing destination. Back then, most every farm along the river would let anyone camp on the river for a dollar a night, or 5 dollars a week. They generally had tables, grills, and outhouses, too. Today the properties are all owned by either city folks or for corporate retreats, with a handful of places having been developed as privately owned RV parks.