Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jan 2017 11:34:31 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      It's always three! (Be prepared)

Hi all.

Shortly after leaving BBTB at lake Havasu, my driver side window fell into the door. Right then, I thought: 'it always happens in threes'. So true. After repairing it, my RR rear tire leaked down at freeway speed eventually going flat and breaking loose from the rim. This forced me to pull over at the V apex of a freeway and merge on-ramp. Awesome! Replaced the tire, turned the key, nothing. Dead starter! I quickly swapped out ignition switches, no change, then furiously set aside bedding, wiggled the 50 wire at starter, no change. Since my hammer was now buried under the bench seat, I grabbed my breaker bar and took calculated stab "hits" to starter solenoid and case. This did the trick. Time was of the essence; I was a sitting duck!

What I learned

- keep ALL tools within easy reach. If possible, same for parts - being prepared pays off (yes I do carry a spare starter) - do a visual check of tires before getting in your bus. - consider getting a replacement warrantee on tires. I did, and its paid off already though I had to insist that Discount Tire supply a new tire not repair the 2 punctures on old tire. Ask if warrantee is pro rated. - if buying new tires consider getting tires that might be available same day. I assumed mine would be but not so. (15" Michelin defenders). Size is a factor in this.

The day of tire failure, I'd rolled into a defunct looking paved area to take a picture of a funny (to me) restaurant sign. I think this is where the tire picked up a nail and some other nasty object. As to the warranty, I had to insist discount tire repair the tire. It appeared to me that they would do anything to avoid "paying out" on the warranty including literally holding onto the tire instead of letting me roll it to inspect it. Theirs has a 90 grace period. I told them tires were near new, installed just over a month ago. I had to volunteer this info. They certainly did NOT check dates on invoice I supplied and would've gotten $22 out me for nothing.

Interestingly, the only real clue that the tire had failed was noise. I initially thought the rear wheel bearings had failed. It was windy on the freeway so I put off any poorer handling to that. Once I heard the noise the handling did change.

Just sayin,

Neil in Tucson.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>