Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:14:43 +0000
From:         B Feddish <UprightBassGhost@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2003 Eurovan Weekender - heating and power for camper
Comments: To: Chris Chappell <chris.chappell4@GMAIL.COM>

Let me chime in since I’ve been driving an ’03 MV for a daily driver for 8 years. Keep in mind I own an ’83 Westy too. I know there are differences of opinion on this but I find the EV considerably more suited for daily driving. It’s more comfortable, has allot more power and the big kicker is it’s awesome in the snow. I put it up against the 4wd vehicles I’ve owned.

On to your price question, it’s really high but not unheard of. The same EV with a poptop generally sells for about $10-$12 K more than a non-pop top. Not worth it as far as I’m concerned. I paid $17K for mine in ’08 with 52K miles on it. Poptops at the time were about $25 K for the same mileage.

#1, if the it has the original transmission, walk away, I don’t care if the guy waxed it every day. If its rebuilt with a lifetime warranty then it may be up for consideration.

If I had the money, I’d buy a real clean GLS which sell for $7,000 in pristine condition with less miles and have CaveVan convert it to a poptop for $15K.

Knowing how much it costs to maintain one of these things, I could not imagine spending $23K on one with that many miles. Maybe talk to the CaveVan guy, he can probably set you up with the poptop, heater, aux battery, etc. for way less than that one.

Bryan

From: Chris Chappell<mailto:chris.chappell4@GMAIL.COM> Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 1:32 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: 2003 Eurovan Weekender - heating and power for camper

Hello all, Hi all,

I owned a vanagon westy for 2 years about 10 years ago, and now...

I am on the verge of purchasing a 2003 Eurovan Weekender with 144K that seems to be in pretty good shape. It has just the one battery for the whole vehicle. The dealer who did inspection said that some people put an after-market second battery in for extra power associated with camping.

My intention is to potentially use it for longer-term residence, with at times access to an indoor kitchen.

As such, I have some concern about the current power set up with no potential for plug-in to external power. So, a few questions for those with more experience than I. 1) Is it possible to add on an external power outlet, and if so, how much would it cost to pay someone reliable to do it? 2) Anyone familiar with adding an extra battery to such a rig and what it costs? (I am not a DIY when it comes to mechanics) Reasons pro and con for such an add on? Would this provide ample power to heat rig at night in with temps occ in teens? 3) Other thoughts on alternative ways to heat the rig? Someone suggested Origo heater (denatured alcohol) but wouldn't you potentially OD on CO2?

Lastly, if you are very familiar with this year and model, would you buy one with lots of miles on it like this if its been well maintained. The seller is asking 23K, is this about right? Its way above BB or anything else showing value online, but I cant say I see similar vehicles selling for less that have clean titles.

Thanks for any and all suggestions Chris

-- Chris Chappell chris.chappell4@gmail.com (520) 265-2025

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." - Mahatma Gandhi