Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Feb 2017 05:52:01 +0000
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Regarding raised bar

Well,

I think anyone can freely ask whatever price they like. The problem *I* see with this van is, much like with a highly individualized house, the more idiosyncratic the build, the less the ROI will be. Certainly "painting" a van with bedliner qualifies as idiosyncratic IMO. The last time my wife and I were home shopping we came across a home being sold by a Pink Floyd...worshipper... is the best description. He had an entire wall in the living room (large room, vaulted ceiling) painted like the Dark Side of the Moon album cover - hand painted oil rendering. Very nice artistry, and the owner paid like $20K for it. In his mind, that was a $30-$40K addition. To me, it was an extra $2K cost on the paint job to texture and paint over it.

The idiosyncratic mods we've done to our home, as well as our van, are for us and our enjoyment, and we never expect to recoup those costs. Well, since the van only goes after I go, not really an issue there. If he finds the right buyer, he may luck out, but *in general* I think it's pretty unrealistic for any of us to expect to recoup anywhere near the money we've put in these beasts. We do it because we're nuts, and we're enthralled by them!

Keith Hughes '86 Westy GenV (Marvin) ------------------------------ Date:    Thu, 2 Feb 2017 04:12:38 +0000 From:    Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Regarding raised bar Dear Bar Raisers I am hoping you do well with your ask - I find it wholly remarkable that a community that holds helping one another as the hallmark of their credibility as a group would turn on trashing one of their own because the ask for their vanagon is outside what they might have the confidence to ask - Remember all the emails every time one of these beloved machines is in a wreck - the owner describes in excruciatingly minute detail every washer they changed out since taking ownership and always end with the same remark - doesn't the adjuster know the amount of care and love I put into this vehicle -doesn't the adjuster know how much gowesty sells for - Mine is worth at least that much !!! Remarks best left on Facebook or twitter - or better yet - unsaid  - do little to increase the "helpful community flag any higher up the pole" If any of our members has the confidence to ask huge dollars for these never to be repeated collectors vehicles we should wish them well - hope they get as close to the ask as possible - - in down so every one of us will benifit as our collective value for investment increases with them --- I have a friend who has two Packard touring cars and he speaks about them the same as any vanagon owner does about their vehicle -- the only difference is there are no more packards coming off the assembly line -- Oh wait no more vanagons either - Regards