Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Feb 2017 10:56:33 -0800
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Regarding raised bar
Comments: To: bernie <1234bjs@gmail.com>

I bought my camper to use for camping. I could afford it, and it was in decent shape. I expected to spend money on it. I did not expect inflation on its value to earn money for me. Were it an investment, I would have declared to cost to be a tax deduction, and then would expect to pay taxes on the difference (less expenses) when I sold the investment, just as I do with other investments.

When I sell it, I will probably get more than I paid for it, and considerably more than it cost new in 1991. The used Kubota tractor I am considering buying exhibits the same phenomenon. The price, vetted on several sources, is about double what it cost new in 1995. That is called inflation, and on quality used tractors, might be called hyperinflation. That is what we are seeing with VW campers.

Is one that the current owner has spent a lot of money on "worth" what the owner wants for it? I guess it may be to someone, but right now, as many of them as there are around still, though they are cult vehicles, they are not yet collector's vehicles. Collector's vehicles are kept in protected conditions, driven only for show. They mostly are in, or the owner attempts to keep them in, new or like new condition. Originality is important. Most of us use our VW campers, and if there is a modification we find useful, we implement it. They have mostly had many after market parts installed. Restoration is not the same thing as original, at least according to the collector vehicle market, and is worth less than original.

Well, here's to VW campers. I will be using mine heavily starting this spring.

mcneely